Frequently asked questions

Am I covered if I am pregnant?

Yes, cover is included for pregnancy. However it relates solely for complications that arise during the course of the pregnancy because being pregnant is not considered to be a medical condition. This means that only certain circumstances that are caused by complications in a pregnancy are covered. It is really important that you check this cover in the policy wording.

What is a policy Excess?

Most sections of the policy carry an Excess. You have agreed to pay towards a claim under each section of the policy. The amount may vary depending on the level of cover you have chosen. It is applicable per person per section. The Excess will be reduced to NIL if you have used an EHIC (formerly E111) to reduce your medical expenses bill.

What is a Pre-existing Medical Condition?

  1. Any medical condition where You have been prescribed medication, including repeat prescriptions, or received treatment or attended a GP or a specialist as an outpatient or inpatient in the last 2 years or for which You are currently on a waiting list for treatment or investigation; and

  2. Any illness for which You have received a terminal prognosis or any heart, heart-related or circulatory condition; or any respiratory condition; any stress, anxiety, depression or any other psychological condition; any cancerous condition; or any cerebral condition.

If you have any pre-existing medical conditions please call 01293 855956 to assess if you are eligible to obtain full cover for the condition(s) disclosed.

For more information, please refer to the "Important Conditions Relating To Health" section of the policy wording.

How do I make a claim?

For Claims relating to Policy A - Your Travel Policy

If You have a medical emergency, please call +44 (0) 2920 474221 These lines are open 24 hours a day.

Global Response will provide immediate help if You are ill or injured outside Your Home Country. They provide a 24-hour emergency service 365 days a year. When contacting them You will need to quote Your Policy Number, Your name, address and a telephone number.

When something happens which is likely to give rise to a claim under this policy, You must notify Global Response as soon reasonably possible after it happens and, in any case, within 28 days from the date of return to Your Home Country.
Telephone: 02920 474222

How many children can I insure on a Family policy?

The maximum number of dependent children under 18, in full time education and residing with you is 4 on a family policy.

What are the Terms and Conditions?

Terms and Conditions are another expression for the Policy Wording. You need to read the Policy Wording carefully because it sets out the cover that you have purchased and also the conditions that you need to meet in order to make a claim.

What are my cancellation rights?

If after reading the policy wording you decide the terms of the insurance contract do not meet your requirements you can, WITHIN 14 DAYS OF THE DATE YOU RECEIVED YOUR DOCUMENTS, return it for a full refund. No refunds will be given for policies cancelled outside 14 days.

What Winter Sports are covered?

Provided you have paid the Winter Sports upgrade, and if you are aged 65 or under, you are covered for: ski equipment, piste closure, avalanche cover, ski hire, ski pack costs up to the limits shown on the summary of cover. Activities covered can be found in your policy wording

What do I do if I need medical assistance when travelling?

In case of a medical emergency please phone +44 (0) 2920 47422, quoting Fortify.

You must contact the medical emergency assistance team as soon as possible before incurring expenses over £500.

You must retain receipts for medical and additional costs incurred and the excess must be paid by you at the time of treatment.

Note: If you are physically unable to contact the assistance team then you or someone designated by you must contact the team within 48 hours.

Can we travel independently on our Couple/Family travel insurance policy?

Adults over the age of 18 can travel independently, all children must be accompanied by an insured adult.

How often can I travel on an Annual Multi-trip policy?

The policy lasts for the complete 12 months, and you can take as many trips/holidays as you wish during the year. Any individual trip or holiday must not last longer than 50 days. If a trip is for a longer period you will need to purchase a Single Trip policy for that particular trip. Winter Sports cover, Golf and Cruise Cover are available at an additional premium.

What is the difference between Standard, Premier and Premier Plus cover?

These are the different levels of cover offered under this policy. Standard offers the most basic level of cover with the highest excesses. Premier Plus cover provides the widest range of cover and the highest levels of protection for you and requires you to pay the least amount of excess. As a result Premier Plus cover is the more expensive choice however ensures that you have the highest protection.

How is my policy delivered?

Your policy can be emailed directly to your email address shortly after being issued. Please note that some internet providers filter our automated e-mails as SPAM so please check your SPAM/junk folder if the e-mail has not been received. If you have any difficulties receiving your policy documents, please call us on 0343 658 0240.

Do you offer cover for over 65s?

Yes. The maximum age for our policy is 85 for a Single Trip or 85 on an Annual Multi-Trip at the commencement of the period of insurance. NOTE that the maximum age to add Winter Sports cover is 65 when you buy the policy.

Do you cover non-UK residents?

No, we only offer cover for residents of the United Kingdom.

Can I go scuba diving when travelling?

Scuba diving to a depth of 18 metres (within organisers guidlines) is covered. The policy can be upgraded to include scuba diving to a depth of 30 metres for an additional premium.

What credit/debit cards do you accept?

We accept Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, Visa Electron and Delta.

What happens if my bag is stolen with all my travel documents and money whilst I am travelling?

You must report theft or losses to the police or relevant authority within 24 hours of the event and obtain a written report. These reports are the only proof that the loss/theft did actually occur. Without them the insurer cannot make any payment to you. If you leave luggage and personal items unattended in a public place then we cannot be held responsible for any resultant claim. You should always take reasonable care to look after your property and treat it as if it were not insured. There is no cover for cash or valuables left in an unattended vehicle at any time, even if the vehicle is locked.

When do I need to purchase my travel insurance?

At the time of booking your travel arrangements to make sure that you have cancellation cover in place for that particular trip. If your travel arrangements change then you must call Fortify immediately on 0343 658 0240. You must be able to provide the correct Period of Insurance on your documentation in the event of a claim.

What do I need to take on holiday with me?

Please ensure that you take a copy of your certificate of insurance and a copy of the full policy wording - these documents contain important numbers that you may require whilst travelling.

Am I covered for cancellation?

If you have paid the appropriate premium, you are covered for cancellation of your holiday for the reasons stated in the policy wordings. You may be able to claim (subject to the policy terms and conditions) for any travel or accommodation costs that you have either already paid or are contracted to pay, that you cannot reclaim from the tour operator.

What is an EHIC (formally E111)?

If you intend travelling to European Union (EU) countries, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you must ensure you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). We would advise you to obtain a Form CM1 from your local main Post Office. On returning this, duly completed, to the main Post Office you will be issued with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which will entitle you to certain free or reduced cost health arrangements in the EU, EEA or Switzerland. (Full details are given in the DSS Leaflet No. SA40).

What vaccinations do I need?

You should check with your doctor as soon as possible, your doctor will be best advised to tell you what vaccinations are required, if any.

Can I change my policy?

You can change or upgrade your policy at any time as long as you have not made a claim. Please contact Fortify on 0343 658 0240 for amendments and upgrades.

Which Special Sports and Activities am I covered for?

Fortify Travel Insurance covers you for a variety of sports and activities at no additional premium, we also offer you the ability to upgrade your cover to include additonal activities and sports. Please see your policy wording for full details of the Special Sports and Activities we can provide cover for.

Will this policy cover me if my Trip has been Dynamically Packaged?

Yes, cover is provided irrespective of how your Trip / holiday has been packaged together.

Insurance tailored to your travel needs

Travelling without insurance cover is very risky and could leave you massively out of pocket if the unthinkable happens. The costs can run into considerable sums of money should you require hospitalisation or need to be returned home by air ambulance.

Setting up a policy can help you cover losses and expenses in the event of you falling ill or experiencing a holiday mishap.

Get a quote today